skip to Main Content
Menu

Château de Champlâtreux

The History

Built between 1751 and 1757 by architect Jean-Michel Chevotet, the château de Champlâtreux is a beautiful example of 18th century architecture. The castle, initially built as the country home for the illustrious Parisian parliamentary Molé family, has been passed down through the generations and is now the home of the Duc de Noailles. It was classified as a historical monument in 1989. 

The Château

Mathieu-François Molé (1705-1793), “Président à mortier” at the parliament of Paris, used part of his wife’s, Bonne-Felicité Bernard, fortune to rebuild on a larger scale the modest Louis XIII style home he had inherited from his ancestors. This older castle was destroyed in 1750.

The castle was built both as a country home and as a place to host lavish events. With its four large state rooms on the ground floor, it isn’t surprising that Champlâtreux came to be the place to host receptions and hunts in the surrounding forests.

The Parc

The French style formal gardens designed by Chevotet were replaced in 1823 by a landscape garden designed by the Thouin brothers. There is a sweeping view bounded by trees with an ornamental water pond in stone in the middle. The formal garden details have disappeared but the cypress trees allow you to guess its former appearance. The parc is ideal for hosting receptions.

Beautiful stables with carved wooden stalls, a saddle-room, coach house and drinking troughs form a U-shaped building close to the château. This brick building and stone courtyard date back to the 18th century and was an indispensible part of the château. Nearby, the very pretty Saint-Eutrope XVIIIth century chapel available for weddings and film/photo shoots.

Château de Champlâtreux
RD 316
95270 Épinay-Champlâtreux, France